Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Pinnacle

My dad taught me how to play Pinnacle when I was in high school. We'd play on Sunday afternoons after church and lunch, before the other activities of the day. My mom, younger brothers, and I would sit around the dining room table trying to find ways to outsmart him. He was pretty good ( in our novice brains). He usually knew how many cards were still out after each round. I think I beat him once.

It wasn't really something a christian church going family was supposed to be doing--especially on Sundays. So the game went from using face cards to a Rook deck. Same thing. I could understand the Rook deck easier, just numbers in 4 different colors and of course the Rook (which is actually a crow holding cards in it's claw-- go figure). What does Rook mean anyway? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rook Oh, I never knew that! Guess you learn something even when you're an old Wolverine!

Nice memory. My dad was not one to do things with his kids, but once in a while you had a few fun moments to tuck away into your memory scrapbook. Thanks, Dad.

No comments: