
Need I say more.
I have studied my butt and brains out to learn this Algebra stuff and I was rewarded with a 56 out of 120 points on my first exam. The instructor for some reason decided to add an extra 14.5 points to everyones score so that brought me up to .5 points over the required 70 to still be in the running to pass the class. Considering the rest of the book is all about Functions and Graphs and the million ways you can calculate and manipulate the stupid numbers and pictures, I figure I've got at best the same chance of succeeding.
It's not that I can't do it, it's that I take an average of 3-4 times longer to work through it to allow for my slower brain to register the concepts. Time is not something that the course will give you much of.
I'm glad there are geniuses that can calculate with accuracy and speed. It's what our world is composed of today-- bridges, skyscrapers, Walmart, road maps, gadgets, health aids-- I'm just not going to be one of "those" people. I'll be one of the ones that loves things.
I've decided to make a change in Major from Pre-K/ Elementary Education to Horticulture & Landscape Design. At my age, having raised 4 kids and worked in the education field for over 10 years, has put me in mind to contribute to the world in a more direct way. Always having loved plants and nature, I felt I could not only learn about how plants work, but use them as a way for me to create lovely environments and how to raise food that will feed us today and for generations to come. I have found the pashion and reason for my existance on this planet (FINALLY!) and feel a sense of urgency and power to help change the aching earth.
I have studied my butt and brains out to learn this Algebra stuff and I was rewarded with a 56 out of 120 points on my first exam. The instructor for some reason decided to add an extra 14.5 points to everyones score so that brought me up to .5 points over the required 70 to still be in the running to pass the class. Considering the rest of the book is all about Functions and Graphs and the million ways you can calculate and manipulate the stupid numbers and pictures, I figure I've got at best the same chance of succeeding.
It's not that I can't do it, it's that I take an average of 3-4 times longer to work through it to allow for my slower brain to register the concepts. Time is not something that the course will give you much of.
I'm glad there are geniuses that can calculate with accuracy and speed. It's what our world is composed of today-- bridges, skyscrapers, Walmart, road maps, gadgets, health aids-- I'm just not going to be one of "those" people. I'll be one of the ones that loves things.
I've decided to make a change in Major from Pre-K/ Elementary Education to Horticulture & Landscape Design. At my age, having raised 4 kids and worked in the education field for over 10 years, has put me in mind to contribute to the world in a more direct way. Always having loved plants and nature, I felt I could not only learn about how plants work, but use them as a way for me to create lovely environments and how to raise food that will feed us today and for generations to come. I have found the pashion and reason for my existance on this planet (FINALLY!) and feel a sense of urgency and power to help change the aching earth.

Being "green" is the THING to do now, but I have been impressed with those that tirelessly fought for cleaner air and water. Who helped impliment cleaning programs along highways and around our communities. Those that have researched and written books about health and raw and organic food. About how to reduce and release our stress. What a wealth of unsonged knowledge. We live amongst the smartest and finest humans on this planet and don't even recognize them. They aren't interested in glory. They just want to get the word out. It will actually make for a more beautiful world.
Life is too short and precious to spend it screaming and flipping off someone on the highway because they cut you off. Drop back and enjoy the breeze! Look at the clouds. Think about those things that really matter to you. Are you getting what you want out of life? Why are you here on the planet?
So what does that have to do with MATH?????? Yuk. Well, I have learned some things about math. Numbers can be safe and predictable. There is a mathmatical equation for everything that exists in real life. It has a pattern and works because of the "equality on both sides of the equation". For those of you who get Basic Algebra, know that whatever you do to one side of the equation, you have to do to the other side in order to solve the problem. A lot of us keep doing things to one side of our lives without balancing out the other side(s). "Problems" don't get solved.

That's what I've learned from Math.
1 comment:
Sorry that Algebra has been such a headache. I am tickled that you have found your purpose and that you have changed you major to something you have a passion for. It's the WOW factor.
Best wishes being sent you way. I love you lots.
Boop
Post a Comment